Last May I posted a piece on Grace Potter and The Nocturnals and I figured it’s time for an updated look. Grace and the band (they now have a different bass player) are tearing up stages and selling out seats wherever they perform. Along the way, she’s been converted from hippie chick to sex goddess. When asked about this transformation in a recent interview, she commented that it’s all “part of growing up”.
The comparisons to Janis are natural. Grace sings the blues with less twang than Janis but puts as much heart and soul into every tune. She sings the blues and plays a mean guitar and a Hammond B-3 organ. A full talent who is getting wide recognition. In addition to jamming with Warren, Grace has hit the stage with everyone from Kenny Chesney to Willie Nelson to Heart and even with Joe Satriani for a blistering version of “Cortez the Killer” by Neil Young.
- “Paris (Ooh La La )” – Live from Mountain Jam 2010. Grace’s signature song.
- “2:22″ – Live from Mountain Jam 2011 with Warren Haynes
- “Tush” – Live from the House of Blues in New Orleans – also with Warren Haynes – a great interpretation of the ZZ Top rocker. Grace has an energy level that is well off the charts – non-stop aerobics.
- “Apologies” – a beautiful slow blues tune from Grace and the band. Nicely done.
- “Driving Blind” – another soulful tune rounds out the list. Enjoy it.