Last year I put together a compilation CD entitled the “Distant Relatives Mix”. Consisting entirely of songs about apes (and chimps and monkeys) it’s a brief, and hopefully humorous, look at how “far” we’ve come up the evolutionary path. Or have we?
I selected a sample of the songs from the Mix CD for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy!
- “Monkey In Your Soul” – Steely Dan. A classic track from the 1974 album “Pretzel Logic”. Nice solo laid down by Walter too. Fagen later commented that the song is about time travel.
- “Monkey To Man” – Elvis Costello. Hands down probably the most inventive song of this lot. The story of evolution from the ape’s perspective! It definitely pokes at the notion that with what man has done to the earth (and to each other) who’s to say who’s “evolved”? It’s also a hilarious video.
- “Too Much Monkey Business” – Chuck Berry. Chuck wrote this tune back in 1956 and it was later covered by The Beatles, The Hollies, and other British Invasion groups. “No use complainin’, your objections been overruled”. Yep.
- “Monkey and The Engineer” – Grateful Dead. An old Jesse Fuller tune that the Dead covered a number of times in concert. Bob Weir was often heard to comment that the band had a whole catalog of songs about “disasters” and “disasters narrowly averted”. This is the latter.
- “Monkey Man” – Amy Winehouse. A live clip of Amy in concert in 2007 in London. The song was originally recorded by the legendary Toots and The Maytals in 1969. It was later the topic of a well-known cover by The Specials.
- “Monkey In A Cage” – The Driven. An Irish rock band, known for their 1996 single “Jesus Loves You More If You Can Drive”. They recorded this one in 1997.
- “Tweeter and the Monkey Man” – The Traveling Wilburys. The Wilburys were, of course, the supergroup of the late ’80’s and early ’90’s. Jeff Lynne, Roy Orbison, Tom Petty, Bob Dylan and, oh yeah, that guy George Harrison. I wonder how they fit their combined egos in one room? A nice ballad about a life of crime in New Jersey (and Bruce wasn’t even consulted!).