Calvin & Hobbes
Happy New Year to you all! I was away on vacation last week but I’m back with a few days off and looking forward to blogging in 2013.
I’m not a huge maker of resolutions. It’s not that I take Calvin’s approach and think I can’t be improved. It’s just that I just don’t tie my need for self-improvement to any specific calendar date. As a somewhat introspective type I make (and break) resolutions on a regular basis. Like most people, I make the usual resolutions of losing weight, exercising more, or reading more. Some are followed better than others. Last year I made a resolution to be more “creative” in 2012. I resolved to learn how to blog. It took me until April to start but, hey, I’m here! I consider it a resolution followed. 8-)
So to start off 2013 I’ve gone off in search of songs about resolutions. Not as easy as it may sound but I’ve tracked down a few for your listening enjoyment. Some are closer to the mark than others but you get the idea…
- “Brand New Day” – Sting. As I mentioned in the last post of 2012, I’m a closet Sting fan. He does nail the fresh start theme with this one nicely. From the album of the same name and that’s Stevie Wonder playing harmonica in the background.
- “(Just Like) Starting Over” – John Lennon. Hard to believe it’s been 32 years since John’s murder. He’s still, of course, one of the greatest song writers of the 20th century. A great tune for the new year.
- “First Day of My Life” – Bright Eyes. Great tune from this Omaha, Nebraska indie band founded and fronted by the hugely talented Conor Oberst.
- “New Morning” – Bob Dylan. As usual, Dylan nails it with this upbeat tune from nearly 43 years ago. From the 1970 album of the same name. The NM album also included the song “If Not For You” (covered a month later by George Harrison).
- “Brand New Day” – Van Morrison. No, not a Sting cover. Van the Man wrote this beauty was back in 1969 and it appeared on the classic album “Moondance”. A beautiful song with a perfect sentiment. VM attributed the inspiration for this song to listening to a song by The Band on a Boston radio station.
- “New Year’s Resolution” – Otis Redding & Carla Thomas. A soulful track from the album “King and Queen“. Carla is Rufus’s daughter and she is often referred to as the “Queen of Memphis”. This track was recorded in January of 1967 and was Otis’ last before his death later that year. Booker T & The MG’s do most of the backup work here and that’s Isaac Hayes on piano.
- “In Your Time” – Bob Seger. This Seger tune was included on his first Greatest Hits album but, as far as I can tell, wasn’t released anywhere else. Although not exactly about resolutions, good advice for 2013. “Feel the wind, And set yourself the bolder course, Keep your heart, As open as a shrine, You’ll sail the perfect line.”